25 June 2011

Trevor Sutton


              


Can you briefly describe what you do?

I make paintings, prints and other works on paper.

What drives you to make work?

It’s the activity that feels most real to me.

Can you tell me something of your day-to-day working practices?

In recent years I have once again returned to working with grids, after a long period of making glazed, atmospheric paintings that often employed a square or circular format. My latest paintings are constructed and painted with oil and paper collage on board. They refer to solid architectural surfaces – facades and interiors in preference to the skies and smoke of work made in the 90’s and for most of the last decade.

I go to my London studio most days, where alongside making work I read, think and listen to a lot of music.

How long have you been working in that way?

Since I gave up teaching at Chelsea School of Art in 2000.

Which artists have had the greatest affect on your work?

Roger Ackling, Ellsworth Kelly, Brice Marden, Agnes Martin, Jeremy Moon, Mark Rothko.
What, outside visual art, informs your practice?

Being in the landscape, being by the sea, being alone, being in Ireland, being in Japan. Music.

How would you like people to engage with your work?

Slowly, seriously and enthusiastically

Have you seen anything recently that has made an impression?

The Giant’s Causeway, County Antrim.

Do you have anything exciting on the horizon?

An exhibition has just opened in Austria.
DOUBLE VISION: Carol Robertson + Trevor Sutton
Ritter Gallery, Klagenfurt, Austria
16 June – 30 July 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment